Among the multitude of services that I provide as a wedding photographer, my favorite is Couple Photo shoot or the Engagement Shoot, as popularly called in the US. I feel this is where the couple can have a blast as part of their wedding photography. No matter how much planning goes into it, let’s face it – weddings are always overwhelming for the bride or the groom. They are caught up in the busy wedding schedule and are so immersed into it they sometimes forget what wedding is all about – having fun. That is where these engagement shoot help a lot. Generally happening one or two days before the wedding, these engagement shoots are when the couple gets to spend some time together without the hustle and bustle of the ceremonies involved in an Indian wedding. Since I always take them somewhere away from the wedding venue, they are also away from all the confusions and commotion that one usually relates to the wedding venues. In fact most of the couples who choose to do the outdoor shoot, have personally told me that the best part of their wedding was the Engagement shoot because they got some time alone from everything else. From the photographer’s perspective, these outdoor shots are great because there is so much control on what’s happening with the subjects, unlike the wedding shoot when you are at the mercy of the wedding planners & organizers.
Here are a few handy tips that will make the engagement shoot that much more enjoyable and memorable:
– Never plan the engagement shoot on the day of the wedding/sangeet/reception. It hardly works out.
– Schedule your shoot a few days before or after your wedding. I personally feel that after wedding shoot works especially when the couple have an arranged marriage or long distance relationship and have not had enough time together before the wedding.. There is an increased level of intimacy between the couple after the wedding.
– Don’t think too much about the location. Plan a location that people can easily relate to and where there are not thousands of people around you. Also I love to work with the couple in the selection of the outdoor shoot. The location should have some meaning to them.
– Plan ahead and be sure what you and your fiancé are going to wear, your wardrobe, hair, accessories and props can play a vital role. Try to compliment each other. If possible hire a make-up artist to do some simple hair and make up just to make things more special. I ask my couple to whatsapp me the pictures that they are going to wear. Would like to see for myself if they done a good job in selection. Also would give them suggestions
– Mostly importantly try to have fun and enjoy the moment.
I love the engagement shoot because its a great opportunity to make the couple practice to be photographed. It also gives my couples a chance to get to know my style and me and eases their nerves about the day and being in front of the camera. They get to know me as a friend, not just as their photographer, as we walk around our locations, laugh and have fun.